This blog is intended to go along with Population: An Introduction to Concepts and Issues, by John R. Weeks, published by Cengage Learning. The latest edition is the 13th (it will be out in January 2020), but this blog is meant to complement any edition of the book by showing the way in which demographic issues are regularly in the news.

You can download an iPhone app for the 13th edition from the App Store (search for Weeks Population).

If you are a user of my textbook and would like to suggest a blog post idea, please email me at: john.weeks@sdsu.edu

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Thank You, Population Geographers!

I know that it might seem a little self-serving to note that today I was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Population Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers (AAG) here at the annual meeting in San Francisco. However, this provides me with a public opportunity to thank people to whom I owe so much--my colleagues, my students, and my publisher (and, of course, my wife). Special thanks go to Rachel Franklin of Brown University, current President of the AAG Population Specialty Group for organizing a wonderful session. Thanks to colleagues/friends Doug Stow (SDSU), Arthur Getis (SDSU), David Lopez-Carr (UCSB), David Rain (GWU), and Peter Craumer (FIU) for their very generous comments, and thanks to former students/now colleagues and friends Tarek Rashed (Indiana University), Debbie Fugate (US State Department), Justin Stoler (U of Miami), and Anna Carla Lopez-Carr (SDSU/UCSB) for their amazing comments. And thanks to everyone else in attendance, with whom we had a chance to mingle during the post-session reception hosted by Cengage Learning Publishers. Thanks to you all--I couldn't do this without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment